Is it just us, or does the grass always seem greener on the other side, especially when it comes to hair? People with bone-straight locks want perfect spirals, while people with curly manes dream of neat, straight strands. Wavy hair is the perfect middle ground. It brings all the body and style of curls without the maintenance of either extreme. But a wavy texture has its own set of nuances to consider. People with waves — and their stylists — need to know how to care for them for the ideal natural curves.
Here are some tips for how to accentuate your natural waves using readily available and easy-to-master products, tools and techniques. These tips are ideal for professional stylists looking to care for all hair types as well as individuals with wavy hair.
- Use the Right Products — Look for hair care and styling products designed specifically for wavy or curly hair. The key for wavy locks is to find shampoo, conditioner and styling aids that help define the curves without weighing down hair, causing them to lose definition or appear Of course, those of us with waves also know frizz is a huge concern. Our best tip? Go for professional hair care products recommended by stylists. Salon brands like Authentic Beauty Concept make formulas that moisturize without weighing down hair. Ideally, avoid any products that contain sulfates and silicone.
- Get Your Routine Down — A solid wavy hair care routine isn’t just about what products you use, but how and when you use them. As we all know, too much use of conditioners and styling products can weigh the hair down and compromise all volume. The essentials for any good wavy hair care routine include:
- Wash two or three times per week with anti-frizz shampoo.
- Condition two times per week with a lightweight conditioner. Look for options that only contain one or two oils and butters (such as coconut oil, shea butter, etc.) and avoid those containing four or five oils.
- Use a heat-protectant spray every time you dry or style with heat.
- Style with a hair mousse that gives body without weighing down waves.
Share Your Feedback